Most retail sales still occur within brick and mortar stores. Competition is fierce. Restructuring is on-going. Staying on top requires retail industry managers to be nimble, analytical and creative with regard to the challenging and ever-changing retail environment.
FIT's certificate program in Retail Management, developed in partnership with the National Retail Federation (NRF), addresses general analytical and problem solving abilities as well as industry requirements and essential specifications to manage retail operations both here and abroad. In addition, a mastery of foundational skills in Microsoft Excel, retail merchandising, and management skills will be provided.
The certificate is for professionals currently employed in mid-tier retail management positions or persons who possess a baccalaureate degree in any field unrelated to Fashion Merchandising Management. A student may elect to take the optional MOS Excel Certification Exam or the National Retail Federation Retail Management Certification Exam, or both, within this Certificate program.
Applicants must have either:
- A baccalaureate degree in an area other than Fashion Merchandising, or
- 5 or more years of executive retail experience (at the level of Assistant Manager or higher)
Admission to the program is competitive, with the studentís grade point average and/or the quality of their work experience being a strong factor in decision-making. Demonstrated strength in mathematics-related courses (Algebra, Accounting, Finance, etc) is of particular importance.
The program is not appropriate for Fashion Merchandising Management (FMM) graduates.
Upon completion of the Certificate, students will be able to:
- Utilize Microsoft Excel to create spreadsheets and reports that convey critical data analysis in a concise and organized way
- Analyze key store operation functions including reporting structure, evaluation criteria, cross-functionality and cooperating departments with the emphasis on interdependence of activities within the team
- Calculate and benchmark a retailerís performance metrics against major competitors and industry norms
- Develop strategies involving basic management functions and current technology to formulate and justify a plan that can be implemented to achieve a companyís goals
- Exhibit leadership skills and team skills required to successfully lead a management group
The certificate program consists of five (5) courses and fourteen (14) credits.
This program admits in the fall only. It is a cohort program designed to be completed in one year, and as such, courses must be taken when offered. (Courses will be offered in evenings and weekends with 2 in fall, 2 in spring and 1 in summer.)
Have further questions?
- View an Online Information Session about this certificate (recorded in May 2013)
- Request more information about this certificate program
- See The Retail Management FAQs page for many Frequently Asked Questions
For course specific information contact:
Naomi Gross, advisor
Business and Liberal Arts Center, Room B320