The FIT Study Abroad Scholarships provide funds to supplement the costs of studying abroad. FIT Study Abroad Scholarships can be used for any study abroad program for which the student receives at least 12 academic credits towards their degree per semester OR a minimum of 2 credits for summer study. For a selection of programs see the FIT Study Abroad website, SUNY International Programs or College Consortium for International Studies.
FIT offers 17 Study Abroad Scholarships of $1000-$5000 including the Global Scholar Award, the Gladys Marcus International Scholarship, the FIT in Italy Scholarships and the Lattuada Scholarship. Details about each award can be found at fitnyc.edu/studyabroad. All are competitive and can be granted in addition to other federally funded or FIT Foundation awards.
December 1st for programs in Summer 2016, Fall 2016, Winter 2017 and Spring 2017.
Students applying for this award must:
• be enrolled full-time in an FIT degree program
• have a minimum GPA of 3.0
• have applied for Financial Aid or are planning to apply and have demonstrated need
• be a U.S. citizen or permanent residents
• Apply for a study abroad program at fitnyc.edu/studyabroad.
• Complete the additional FIT Global Scholar Award application which includes an additional statement. This application is found under the Scholarships & Awards tab of the study abroad application site. The award statement you provide will be a significant factor in the review of your application for this award. Your statement must include a response to each of the following:
1 Tell us about past experiences that make you eager to study abroad.
2 Tell us about your experiences and values that would make you an effective FIT representative abroad.
3 Tell us in what ways would you be an effective ambassador within the FIT community to promote intercultural understanding and encourage study abroad participation when you return.
For help with writing your award statement, please contact the Writing Studio.
For all other questions, please contact the Office of International Programs.
Note: Students may apply for a FIT Study Abroad Scholarship even if they have not yet been accepted into their chosen Study Abroad program. However, awards shall be released with proof that the student has been accepted to an authorized Study Abroad program and confirmation that the student is actually able to participate in the program. In the event that an awardee shall withdraw from the Study Abroad Program for any reason the award will be rescinded.
Upon return from study abroad, awardees will submit an essay about their experiences and assist with FIT Abroad program promotion.
FIT Global Scholar Award Program
The FIT Global Scholar Award Program provides funds to supplement the costs of studying abroad in Summer 2016, Fall 2016 and Spring 2017.
These awards can be used for any FIT Study Abroad program for which the student receives at least 12 academic credits towards their degree per semester OR a minimum of 2 credits for summer study.
For Semester or Yearlong Applications:
- Two (2) awards up to $5,000 for students who are residents of New York City and graduates of New York City high schools.
- Five (5) awards up to $3,000 for all eligible students
For Summer Applications:
- One (1) award up to $3,000 for students who are residents of New York City and graduates of New York City high schools.
- Four (4) awards up to $2,000 for all eligible students
The FIT Global Scholar Award is competitive and can be granted in addition to other federally funded or FIT Foundation awards.
Gladys Marcus Scholarship
- One award at $1,300 will be given to an FIT student for semester study
- One award at $1,000 will be give to an FIT student for summer/winter study
- One $2,000 scholarship will be awarded to a student studying at FIT in Florence for the academic year. Preference will be given to a Fashion Design student.
FIT in Italy Scholarships
- One $3,000 award per semester (Fall and Spring) will be given to FIT in Italy students who demonstrate need
SUNY Diversity Abroad Honors Scholarship
- One $1,000 scholarship per academic term (fall, spring, or summer) will be awarded to a high achieving FIT student participating in a short-term, semester, or year program during their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year.
Student must be a recipient of an FIT scholarship of at least $1,000 to be eligible for the SUNY Diversity Abroad Scholarship. (FIT scholarship includes Global Scholar Award, Presidential Scholars, Departmental Scholarships.)
Students in the Presidential Scholars Program are eligible to apply for the following study abroad scholarships during their sophomore or junior year.
- Jerome L. Greene Foundation International Studies Fund (up to $10,000)
- Jodi Tilton Memorial Scholarship for Summer Study Abroad ($2000)
- Henry Wolf Presidential Scholars Summer Abroad Scholarship (up to $5000)
International Trade & Marketing (contact the ITM Department for more information)
- Ralph Lauren Corp.
- New Times Group Limited
- PVH corp.
- Gemini Shippers Association
- Michael Kors Endowed Scholarship at FIT (Fashion Design majors, BFA)
- Rothman Scholarship
- Butex Scholarship (for students studying in the UK)
- Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship Program
- AASAP/UK Lord Acton Memorial Scholarship (for students studying in the UK)
- Boren Awards for International Study
- Institute of International Education - Study Abroad Funding
- External Scholarships
- Scholarships Portal EU (Europe Abroad Scholarship Search)
- Fund for Education Abroad
- Critical Language Scholarship Program
- Diversity Abroad Scholarships
- UCE Leadership Scholarship
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
Financial Aid Awards from FIT could be any combination of the following: