Hurricane Sandy Preparedness
Dear FIT Residence Hall Student,
Due to the approach of Hurricane Sandy please take note of the following:
- Monday classes are cancelled.
- All FIT buildings (except the residence halls and the dining hall) will be closed as of 5 pm today. This includes all computer labs and studios.
- New York City buses and subways and the Long Island Railroad and Metro North are beginning an incremental shutdown of service as of 7 pm tonight.
- Dining hall service will remain open. Although the dining hall will be open today (Sunday) until 7 pm and tomorrow (Monday) for normal hours from 7 am to 8 pm, the storm may make it too dangerous to leave your building. Please stock up on food today (Sunday) and do not try to get to the dining hall during the height of the storm on Monday.
- Call, text or email home! Please remain in contact with your family so that they know that you are safe.
- Check with staff in the lobby of each residence hall for updated information.
- All elevators will remain operational and maintenance crew will be on site throughout the storm, in case there is a loss of power.
- If your building loses power, remain in your room. If you must go into the hallway, please bring a flashlight.
- Avoid cooking or microwaving food throughout the storm. Should smoke alarms go off, we must evacuate the building – even in the middle of a hurricane. Wait to make popcorn or cook a meal.
- Be safe. Stay inside during the storm. Keep windows and blinds closed.
Please regularly check your email, the FIT website (www.fitnyc.edu) or the college’s emergency phone line (212-217-7792) for additional information.
Information regarding Tuesday classes and reopening of the college will be provided on Monday when updated storm details become clear.
Take care and be safe.
Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Success