“As the only college in the country offering a BFA in Packaging Design, FIT has taken responsibility for meeting the industry need for a high-level program in sustainable packaging design,” said Sandra Krasovec, associate professor, Packaging Design. “No other institution of higher education in the tri-state area offers a certificate program with a focus on sustainability for the consumer products packaging design industry.”
The 12.5 credit program consists of five courses offered evenings and weekends to enable working professionals to complete the program in one year. One year of demonstrated industry experience in the areas of packaging design, design management, marketing, product development, production management, and/or manufacturing is preferred for all applicants.
The courses, all taught by experts in the area of sustainability, include Foundation of Sustainable Packaging Design; Systems Thinking in Sustainable Packaging Design; Materials, Technologies, and Production in Sustainable Packaging Design; Case Studies in Sustainable Packaging Design; and capstone projects in Sustainable Packaging Design.
Upon completion of the certificate, students will be able to:
- Understand the history of the environmental movement, the definition of sustainability, terms, and environmental acronyms in relation to the packaging design industry.
- Master systems thinking, or the relation-based process determined by the “whole” and how each part correlates to others, and its application to sustainability.
- Apply the cradle-to-cradle concept and implement life-cycle analysis (LCA) tools and techniques to the creative process.
- Evaluate sustainable packaging criteria, based on government regulations and nongovernment organizations’ (NGO) definitions and guidelines.
- Examine prevailing and new packaging materials, and identify those that maximize varying levels of sustainability.
- Understand packaging production and print technologies, and evaluate the environmental impacts of each to maximize some level of sustainability.
- Integrate sustainable best practices into design management processes.
For more information on the Sustainable Packaging Design certificate program at FIT, visit fitnyc.edu/13025.asp. For more information on FIT’s Packaging Design program, visit fitnyc.edu/2606.asp. For more specific information or to apply, contact Sandra Krasovec, associate professor, Packaging Design Program, Pomerantz Center, Room D325, 212 217.5703, email@example.com.
FIT is a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology, with a wide range of programs that are affordable and relevant to today’s rapidly changing industries. In addition to certificates, FIT, a college of the State University of New York, offers more than 45 majors leading to the AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees.