You should have experience working with a professional 3D modeling program such as Autodeskís 3DMax, Maya, Softimage or other 3D programs. It is also expected that you will have studied Photoshop and After Effects and produced finished work using those programs. Flash and ActionScript or intro level scripting is also required. Your work using these programs must be included in your portfolio at the time of your interview which takes place early in the spring semester.
The following courses are the required prerequisites for FIT students:
- CG211 - Computer Assisted Design / Photoshop
- CG212 - Introduction to 3D Modeling / 3DS Max
- CG213 - 2D Animation / Photoshop and After Effects
- CG221 - Design and Authoring for Interactive Media I / Flash & ActionScript
You are expected to submit a portfolio. See information on†Portfolio Evaluation and Interview.
If you are a high school student
You may not apply directly to the bachelorís degree program. High school students should ideally apply to a two-year Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree program in Art and Design and after completing that degree apply to the two-year bachelorís program. See information for all applicants above.
If you have an AAS from FIT
You may apply to the BFA program. A degree in art or design is recommended but not required. See information for all applicants above.
If you have a degree or credits from another college
You may apply to the two-year BFA program as a transfer student if you meet one of the following criteria by the time you enroll at FIT:
- you will have an associateís or bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college (an art or design degree is recommended but not required)
- you will have earned 60 credits toward a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college including all liberal arts course work required for the FIT AAS degree (see information for all applicants above)
The Office of Admissions can help you with questions regarding eligibility, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. The Computer Animation Department can help you with questions regarding the prerequisite requirements and your portfolio. Please contact the chairperson at email@example.com.