- Be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times especially when using electronic devices.
- If you feel uncomfortable, ask for help or move quickly to a safer environment.
- Travel in groups of two or more and carry a mobile phone. Dial 911 for an emergency.
- Be especially aware of your surroundings in crowded areas and be mindful of your personal possessions at all times.
- Make visits to ATM machines during the daytime whenever possible and donít carry large sums of cash or credit cards.
- Avoid scam artists or those asking for money.
- Inform your friend, roommate or family member of your destination when going out for a day or weekend excursion
- Notify FIT Security when you are working in any FIT building after regular hours.
- Report any suspicious activity to the FIT Security Office.
- In case of fire, please pull the fire alarm located throughout FITís campus.
- If you receive a bomb threat notify the FIT Security Office immediately using the on-campus red phones or call (212) 217-7777.
- Donít allow strangers into any FIT building including the residence halls.
- Keep your residence hall suite/room DOUBLE LOCKED at all times.
- Secure your valuable possessions whenever† leaving your residence hall suite/room.
- Be careful when you meet new people and trust your instincts.
- Do not invite strangers to your residential hall suite/room or go to their place of residence without leaving the persons contact information with your roommate or friend.
Health Club Locker Room Theft Prevention
In our effort to reduce the crimes of larceny and identity theft, we are assisting the NYPD in disseminating the following crime prevention of locker room theft. You can help keep New York the safest large city in the nation by being responsible, avoid losing your property, and possibly providing your personal information to identify thieves, by following these simple tips:
- Never leave gym bags, wallets, pocketbooks, briefcases, or other valuables unattended even for a moment.
- Avoid taking high-value items such as expensive watches and jewelry, large amounts of cash, laptop computers, cameras, etc., to gyms or health clubs.
- Utilize gym lockers only if they are located in an area under constant surveillance of staff and/or video cameras.
- Bring a good quality keyed lock or combination lock (without a serial number) to secure the locker.
- Use a different locker every visit.
- Always double check that you locker is properly secured before walking away.
- Never leave your locker open and unattended, even for a brief period such as showering or using the restroom.
- Be aware of who is around you at all times and report suspicious persons/incidents to security.
- Always report stolen property to the Security Department and the police.†
For Kaufman Hall Residents During Rail Yard Construction
- Kaufman Hall Residents should walk on the south side of 31st Street to avoid walking along the walls of the construction site.
- Be aware of construction equipment as you enter/leave the construction zone.
- Be attentive to requests from construction workers as they may be directing Kaufman Hall residents and pedestrians away from areas for safety reasons.
- If you are approached or made to feel uncomfortable by one of the construction workers, report it to FIT Security in Kaufman Hall immediately with any description of the individual you may provide.†
Red phones are located inside†and blue phones are located†outside campus buildings. These phones give†direct access to the Security Office. You may also call†the†Security Office at 212 217.7777.