Developing or Revising a Course
Developing a Course
- If you wish to develop a new course or revise a course, your first action is to develop a course of study for this new or revised course. You will need to discuss this with the chairperson of your department. If you are revising Art & Design curriculum, please read the following Change in Guidelines for School of Art & Design Curriculum Proposals.
- Review these resources:
- Recommended Curriculum Committee Guidelines for a Course of Study
- The CET website for assistance in writing learning outcomes for a new or revised course
- This Course of Study template
- Complete Curricular Innovation Forms A and B, and, if needed, Form C:
- FORM A: Curricular Form for New/Revised Courses this form must be completed for all new or revised courses and must be accompanied by Form B.
- FORM B: Cover Page for New/Revised Course of Study this form must be completed for all new or revised courses and must be accompanied by Form A.
- FORM C: Request for Change in Major Page in Catalog this form must be used for any changes in the catalog. This form must be accompanied by Form A and/or by Form D1, D3 or D4 (if relevant)
- FORMS D: Other Changes/Revisions to An Existing Course the following forms are used for making revisions to existing curriculum items:
- FORM D1: Request for Change in Title/Credits/Hours this form must be used for requesting changes in the course title, credits or contact hours. (Note: if change results in an increase or decrease in contact hours or credits, Form C must also be completed.)
- FORM D2: Request for Change in Prerequisite/Co-requisite
- FORM D3: Request to Add or Drop a Course this form must be used for adding or dropping a course to your major (Note: Form C must also be completed.)
- FORM D4: Request to Move a Course (Note: Form C must also be completed.)
- FORM D5: Request for On-line Delivery of Existing Courses this form must be used for on-line courses only
- FORM D6: Request for All Other Changes this form must be used for all other changes that are not specified above, e.g. Changes to wording and course description, change in course title etc.
Course Approval Steps
Please be mindful that courses submitted in the Fall semester will not be available for registration until the following Fall semester. Please refer to the FIT Curricular Calendar for meeting dates.