Create spaces people love to live, work, and play in
Interior design is more than just arranging furniture. It has evolved into a multifaceted profession dealing with complete environments that not only please but enhance the health and safety of the user. Like other interior design programs, we encourage creative vision and develop your design skillsóbut creativity alone wonít make you a successful working interior designer. At FIT, we emphasize the practical skills you need to get your project done. By the time you graduate, youíll be able to envision great spacesóand know how to build them, too.
FITís Interior Design program has been preparing students for success for more than 50 years. This rigorous, multidisciplinary program combines the academic study of the history and theory of interior design with practical, hands-on projects. Youíll collaborate with leading practitioners in New York City, the design capital of the world. In classes taught by industry professionals, youíll learn drafting techniques, computer modeling, lighting, and materials and methods, with an emphasis on sustainability and user health and safety.
- FITís Interior Design programs are accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA).
- Courses meet National Certification for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ) Exam and New York State certification (Certified Interior Designer) eligibility requirements.
- With about 400 students, FITís Interior Design program is the largest of its kind in New York City.
- Professional-level facilities include a lighting laboratory, design graphics reproduction center, and model-making shop.
- Projects cover a wide range of interior spaces, including residences, hotels and restaurants, stores, historic settings, hospitals, and supportive housing.
In this program, youíll:
- work with New York interior designers, lighting and graphic designers, and architects in†internships at top firms such as Gensler, Interior Architects, and the Rockwell Group.
- network with industry professionals and work with fellow students on†Interior Design Club projects.
- practice your skills on class projects that include residential, corporate, retail, hospitality, and institutional settings.