In this section

NYS Residency Application

New York State Residency Application

This application is for new degree students and continuing students who have been attending FIT as non-residents and wish to establish New York State residency. Please carefully read the instructions below. In addition to the residency application, you must provide the required supporting documents.

If you are a new degree student, please submit the NYS application and support documents to the Office of Admissions. Continuing degree students submit the application to the Office of the Bursar. If you are a new non-degree student, contact the Registration Center, Room B103, for additional information on what you need to do to be eligible for the in-state tuition rate.

Please note that students who live within New York State, but outside the five boroughs of New York City, do not fill out this application. Instead, they need to apply for a Certificate of Residence issued by the chief fiscal officer of the New York State county where you reside.

Completed applications must be submitted prior to the end of the registration period for the semester for which the application is intended.


To Submit Application 
Summer 2015
 June 4, 2015
Fall 2015 August 28, 2015
Winter 2016
January 8, 2016
Spring 2016
January 29, 2016

Only complete applications will be reviewed. All questions must be answered. The application must be notarized. Please allow four to six weeks for review.

No retroactive adjustments to your residency status for prior semesters will be made. Pending applications oblige you to pay the non-resident tuition rate; upon approval, student will be reimbursed accordingly. Applications for students who have an outstanding liability to the College will not be reviewed.

Eligibility for tuition billing at the New York State resident rate is contingent on your being able to prove that your permanent legal residence in New York was established at least one year prior to the start of the semester for which you are applying to change your status.

Being a resident of New York implies the decision to abandon one's former state of domicile and establish one in New York. Mere physical presence or enrollment at a college in New York State is not sufficient. Residency also implies the student's intent to remain in New York after completing his or her studies. Relevant factors include but are not limited to the state of voter registration and driver's license; one's residence for income tax purposes; financial independence; employment and income sources in New York; motor vehicle and personal property registration; the site of real and personal property and bank accounts.

A financially dependent student takes residence from their parent(s) on whom the student is dependent. The domicile of unemancipated students is that of their parents, custodial parents, or legal guardians. Emancipation does not occur automatically when a student reaches the age of 18. Students must show proof of financial independence if claiming emancipation. In addition, students must provide evidence of one year of independent living in order to be considered emancipated.

For guidelines for Establishment of Residency for Tuition Purposes (SUNY):

For a Guide to State Residency Requirements:

Students applying for change of residency status must submit supporting documents.


  • New York State and Federal Income Tax returns for most recent tax year (including the W-2 Form).
  • Residential rental lease, or proof of ownership of New York State real estate property.
  • New York State voter registration card. 
  • New York State driver license (or non-driver identification card), or motor vehicle registration.
  • Non-immigrant aliens - copy of Visa
  • Immigrant aliens - copy of Resident Alien Card

Applicants must present evidence of emancipation, and an established New York State domicile in order to be designated as New York State residents for tuition purposes. Proof of emancipation must include documentation demonstrating financial independence.

Anyone claimed on a parental Federal or State tax return as a dependent is by definition domiciled with that parent.

Applicants who are receiving financial aid should be aware that a reduction in tuition charges might have an impact on their aid, and that in some cases, the awards will be also reduced.

Immigrant Aliens

Students who are not US citizens must have a Resident Alien Card, and meet the other requirements necessary for establishing residency. (If the application is still pending, you must send a copy of your passport, stamped by the I.N.S., as being processed for I-551, or a copy of the Notice of Action from the I.N.S. in response to Form I-485, Application for Permanent Residence.)

Non-Immigrant Aliens

Students with student visas are not eligible for New York State residency status. Students with certain types of visas may be eligible if they have been residents of New York for at least one year, their type of visa qualifies (e.g. A and G Visas), and the visa is at least one year old. For more information on any specific visa, contact the Office of the Bursar.

Mail applications to:

Fashion Institute of Technology
Attn: Steven Serrano, Office of the Bursar
227 West 27th Street
New York, NY 10001-5992

Or return in person to:

Fashion Institute of Technology
Administrative Office of the Bursar
333 7th Avenue, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10001

Adult Learners & Career ProfessionalsEmployers & IndustryAlumni: The Power of ConnectionFaculty & StaffCurrent StudentsParentsRecently Accepted Students About FITAcademicsAdmissionsStudent Life at FITGive to FITFIT & NYCNews & Events See More of FITMy FITContact UsTake a CourseApplyVisit FIT MyFIT Home