ESL Summer Program FAQs
1. What are the housing requirements for ESL Students?
The following are requirements for ESL residents:
be 18 years old to apply for housing (Those under 18
will not be able to access the application)
- Must be enrolled in the ESL Program prior to applying for housing
- Must pay the entire ESL Housing rate at the time of application
- Must complete the orientation questionnaire with a passing grade
To complete the orientation questionnaire:
2. When will applications be available and how can I apply?
Applications are available in April 2013. Click here for instructions on how to apply.
3. What is the cost for ESL summer housing 2013?
- A shared apartment is: $1,242.00 per person
- A single apartment is: $1,965.00 per person
4. Will I be given a refund if I no longer want to stay at FIT?
No, there are NO REFUNDS for summer housing. Please be sure you would like to stay prior to submitting payment.
5. Where will ESL students live?
All ESL students will reside in:
210 West 27th Street
New York, NY 10001
Directions to the Fashion Institute of Technology
6. How are ESL students assigned a single room?
To be assigned to a single room you must apply for a "single" and pay the single rate. Please note: a single in Alumni Hall is your own bedroom within a suite; you will be required to share the kitchen and bath with two residents.
7. Will I have a roommate(s)?
If you have applied for a "shared" apartment, it is recommended that you choose your own roommate; however, if you do not know anyone you would like to live with, a roommate will be assigned to you based on your age and gender. We do not assign males and females in the same room. In Alumni Hall, all suites accommodate up to four guests. You may have up to three roommates.
8. Do I have to pay in full?
Yes, payment is due in full immediately by credit/debit card upon submission of your application.
9. Are ESL students allowed to pay an additional fee to move in early or stay beyond the contracted date?
No. The dates of stay for ALL ESL residents are based on the ESL program. You cannot move in before the program starts or stay after the program has ended. Housing dates for ESL students for 2013 are Sunday, June 30, 2013 to Thursday, July 25, 2013 @ 11:00AM.
10. When is check-in/check-out?
For Summer 2013, Check-in is as follows:
- Sunday, June 30, 2013 from 5PM-11PM
- Monday, July 1 2013- Wednesday, July 3 from 9AM-11PM
For Summer 2013, Check-out is as follows:
- Thursday, July 25, 2013 at 11AM- No exceptions. Please leave your room in move-in condition and remove all trash and belongings
to avoid any maintenance fees.
11. Will I be able to check-in after 11:00PM during the check-in days and time?
No, there is no late night check-in. If you try to check-in after 11:00PM, you will not be given access to the residence halls. However, if you have a friend already living at FIT, you may stay with that resident for one night as a registered overnight guest and check-in the following day (overnight visitation charges will apply). Otherwise, you will have to stay at a hotel and check-in the following check-in day and time. To register overnight visitors, click here.
12. Am I allowed to have an overnight visitor/guest?
Yes, during the summer, eight overnight visitors/guests are allowed per resident per month. The charge for an overnight visitor/guest is $10.00 per person per night. All other overnight visitation rules and regulations apply.
13. How do I register my overnight visitors/guests?
All overnight visitors/guests must be registered prior to their arrival, without pre-registration your guests will not be allowed in the halls unless you pay a fee. Please click here to register your guests.
14. Are there any activities on weekends or evenings when classes are not held?
Limited activities are held in the summer by the Residential Life Department. Please look for notices on your floor for dates and times of scheduled events. You may also check with the Student Life Department.
15. Is the cafeteria opened during the summer sessions?
Yes, the FIT cafeteria is open during limited hours in the summer. In addition, FIT is located in the middle of midtown Manhattan close to many restaurants, delis and grocery stores. Check out the FIT neighborhood!
16. What furniture is provided in the suite?
All suites consist of furnished rooms. Each bedroom has (2) twin size beds, a desk, and a chest of drawers. Each suite has a private kitchen and private bath. You must provide your own kitchen supplies, linens, pillows and blankets. Click here to view pictures of Alumni Hall.
17. Is alcohol allowed in the residence halls?
No. FIT is a dry campus. Alcohol and/or drugs are prohibited, this includes paraphernalia.
18. What should I do if I am receiving an error message saying that my "student number is not eligible for housing"?