Withdrawal and Refund Information
Students who are graduating, part of an exchange program or withdrawing from the college must complete the online withdrawal form.
Residents withdrawing from the residence halls MUST ADHERE to the established check-out procedures as outlined below. Questions regarding refund checks/payments should be directed to the Bursars Office at (212) 217-3680.
- Complete the online withdrawal form OR send an e-mail to†email@example.com stating that you are withdrawing from housing.
- Resident must vacate the residence halls by 9:00 am the day following his/her last final exam or by 5:00 pm on posted semester end date, whichever is earlier.
- Resident should contact his/her R.A. approximately one week before departure to schedule completion of room inventory.
- Room Condition: Room must be left in move-in condition (broom swept, drawers wiped clean, floors mopped, etc.). All unwanted items and garbage must be discarded by residents. Any items remaining will be disposed of by FIT maintenance staff at the residentís expense. In addition to the above, residents in suites are responsible for cleaning the refrigerator, stove, kitchen cabinets/sink and bath/shower/bathroom areas. Please note: Any resident who fails to leave his/her room in move-in condition (see above) will be charged a cleaning fee to be determined by the maintenance department.
- Return key(s) and Resident ID to the Residential Life Office (envelopes available at guardís desk).
- Forwarding mail: Two weeks prior to departure, resident must contact all individuals, companies and subscriptions of new address. Resident must supply the mailroom with completed forwarding address card and enough forwarding labels (8 ½ x 11 sheet) to last for 30 days. Once labels are used, all mail will be returned to sender. Mail is forwarded for a maximum of 30 days.
Refunds cannot be made until the above withdrawal procedure has been completed.
FIT Residence Hall Refund Policy:†
No Refunds for recess housing.†
The Residence Contract is binding for the full academic year (except for those accepted for the spring semester only). †
Students who withdraw will be responsible for a minimum charge of $300.00*, and are liable for any financial penalties incurred as a result of terminating the contract.
Withdrawal forms submitted prior to August 1st for the fall semester or January 1st for the spring semester are subject to the $300.00* non-refundable deposit or $300.00* minimum charge. †
For withdrawal charges/refunds after August 1st (fall)/January 1st (spring) see refund schedule.
Subsequent withdrawals will be subject to the following refund schedule:
*REFUND SCHEDULE: from August 1ST (fall) or January 1ST (spring) †until: † †
*1st day of the 1st week of classes: Refund of 75% (charge 25%) of total room charges
*1st day of the 2nd week of classes: Refund of 50% (charge of 50%) of total room charges
*1st day of the 3rd week of classes: Refund of 25% (charge of 75%) of total room charges
*1st day of the 4th week of classes: No refund
Students accepted after August 1st (fall) or January 1st (spring) are required to submit payment in full and are subject to the charges reflected above.
All refunds will be credited to the studentís account through the Bursarís office.
Room portion: Refunds reflected above are based on cost for total room charges.
Meal portion: Food service refunds are calculated on a weekly basis (week ending Wednesday 5:00pm). Declining balance dollars are non-refundable.†