Founded in 1969 by the Fashion Institute of Technology, The Museum at FIT is dedicated to advancing knowledge of fashion through exhibitions, programs and publications.
- The Museum at FIT collects, conserves, documents, exhibits, and interprets fashion.
- The collecting policy of The Museum focuses on aesthetically and historically significant "directional" clothing, accessories, textiles and visual materials, with emphasis on contemporary avant-garde fashion.
- The Museum is committed to achieving a world-class standard of excellence in the exhibition of fashion.
- The Museum organizes an extensive program of specialized classes, tours, lectures, and symposia for diverse local, national, and international audiences.
- As a "think-tank" for fashion studies, The Museum is dedicated to an ambitious program of scholarly publication, new initiatives, and research opportunities for students, scholars and designers.