News and Events
Effective March 27, 2009, FIT Security will begin to escort students who are walking to and from Kaufman Hall after dark during the week and on weekends to enhance our students' sense of comfort when commuting between our main campus on West 27th Street and Kaufman Hall on West 31st Street.
Students who are ready to leave the main campus to go to Kaufman Hall should meet in front of the Marvin Feldman Center. Escorts begin at the following times:
|7:00 pm||7:30 pm|
|8:00 pm||8:30 pm|
|9:00 pm||9:30 pm|
|10:00 pm||10:30 pm|
|11:00 pm||11:30 pm|
|12:00 am||12:30 am|
|1:00 am||1:30 am|
|2:00 am||2:30 am|
|3:00 am||3:30 am|
|4:00 am||4:30 am|
|5:00 am||5:30 am|
An FIT Security Guard will escort all students who have assembled to Kaufman Hall. After the group arrives at Kaufman Hall, FIT Security will similarly escort all students who would like to return to West 27th Street. There will be two trips each hour through the night returning to the campus. Estimated times for departing Kaufman Hall are on the quarter hour (e.g.: 7:15 PM, 8:15 PM) and on the three-quarter hour (e.g.: 7:45 PM, 8:45 PM).
Health Club Locker Room Theft Prevention
In our effort to reduce the crimes of larceny and identity theft, we are assisting the NYPD in disseminating the following crime prevention of locker room theft. You can help keep New York the safest large city in the nation by being responsible, avoid losing your property, and possibly providing your personal information to identify thieves, by following these simple tips:
- Never leave gym bags, wallets, pocketbooks, briefcases, or other valuables unattended even for a moment.
- Avoid taking high-value items such as expensive watches and jewelry, large amounts of cash, laptop computers, cameras, etc., to gyms or health clubs.
- Utilize gym lockers only if they are located in an area under constant surveillance of staff and/or video cameras.
- Bring a good quality keyed lock or combination lock (without a serial number) to secure the locker.
- Use a different locker every visit.
- Always double check that you locker is properly secured before walking away.
- Never leave your locker open and unattended, even for a brief period such as showering or using the restroom.
- Be aware of who is around you at all times and report suspicious persons/incidents to security.
- Always report stolen property to the Security Department and the police.
Your assistance in helping the Security Department and NYPD is invaluable.
Director of Security
Curtis Dixon has recently joined the FIT staff as the new Director of Security. Before coming to FIT, Dixon spent more than 26 years with the New York City Police Department. He retired as a Detective assigned to the Intelligence Division (Mayoral Security and Dignitary Protection). From 1994 to 2002, he worked for the New York State Comptroller's Office. He retired as the Directory of Security. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in Behavioral Science from New York Institute of Technology.