May 6, 2013
We are pleased to send you FIT in the NEWS to share highlights of major news stories placed by the college’s Division of Communications and External Relations. These stories will be accessible for at least seven days by clicking on the links below.
Tune in this Sunday, May 19 to CBS Sunday Morning for an interview on the history of bathing suits with Valerie Steele, director, The Museum at FIT.This segment is part of the program’s annual design episode.
W27 (May issue) features an extensive, double-page interview with President Brown.
The Future of Fashion graduating students runway show, held on May 1, received coverage on Elements of Fierce, Fashion Development Group, 2 Girls 2 Cities 2 Styles (all May 5), Fashion Reverie (May 8), Fibre2Fashion, Models Web TV (both May 9), Chelsea.ClickYourBlock (May 10), and Tom’s Eye View Blog (May 11).
Fibre2Fashion (May 1) reported that Mayor Bloomberg commended FIT’s outstanding progress in PlaNYC, the city’s initiative to cut greenhouse gas emissions, improve air quality, and reduce the impact of climate change by 2030. The college not only met its goals in four years – less than half the time allotted for the challenge – but was the first college, university, or hospital to do so. By 2011 the college had exceeded the 30 percent reduction goal by 10 percent for a total reduction of 40 percent. Today, the college’s reduction is 40.8 percent, far above that of any other institution.
BARK-à-Porter, the fifth-annual pet apparel and fashion accessories runway show, held on May 3, received coverage on The Daily Beast (May 5), Fashionista (May 6), Time Out New York (May 8), and People.com (May 9). Fashionista, Time Out New York, and People.com also included photo galleries of the runway show.
The New York Post (May 1) ran a feature about the School of Art and Design’s programs. The article included interviews with Joanne Arbuckle, dean, School of Art and Design, and Ron Amato, chair and assistant professor, Photography. A related article profiled Alexa Koegel, a fifthNBCNews.com (May 2), spoke with Ellen Goldstein, professor, Accessories Design, about the history of Kentucky Derby fashions.
Footwear News (April 29) featured an interview with Vasilios Christofilakos, assistant professor, Accessories Design, in which he discussed how young companies mentor students on charting a career path.
The New Republic (April 29) spoke with Mark-Evan Blackman, assistant professor, Menswear, about the aesthetic reasons behind the bottom button on men’s suit jackets. Men’s Health (May 9) featured tips from Blackman on dry-cleaning men’s garments.
Toronto’s The Globe and Mail (May 3), featured an interview with Daniel James Cole, adjunct assistant professor, Fashion Design, in which he discussed the “optical illusions” caused by wearing stripes.
Robin Lewis, adjunct instructor, Global Fashion Management, spoke with The South China Morning Post (May 9) about comments made by the CEO of retailer Abercrombie and Fitch regarding the sizing of their garments.
Fashion and Technology, which closed on May 8, received coverage on Everything Just So (May 6). The exhibition received publicity in more than 30 outlets, including The Financial Times, Le Monde, La Republica and Time Out New York.