The Resident Assistant is an integral part of the Residential Life Staff. The RA is the paraprofessional staff member with the most direct and constant student contact. The primary responsibilities of an RA are to act as a facilitator in the development of the residence hall community; to enhance the development of the residents; and to serve as a role model at all times. An RA serves as a representative of the Residential Life Office and College.
FIT's Residential Life Department offers its students great opportunities and experiences as a Resident Assistant. RA Selection is a selective process that begins late October of each academic year and continues through the spring semester. Throughout the selection process students get to know members of the Residential Life staff, current RA's, as well as other interested students. Students gain excellent skills when applying to be an RA such as time management, interviewing and interpersonal skills, as well as professionalism. If this sounds like something that you would like to be a part of please read the RA Selection Timeline which will explain the entire RA Selection Process on our website.
Incentives of being an RA:
- Guaranteed single space
- Early registration each semester for classes
- 10% Discount at FIT Barnes and Noble Bookstore and Fashion Design Bookstore
- $50 Declining Balance for cafeteria
- Book Stipend- $450 for RA's living in apartments and $550 for RA's living in traditional rooms each semester. (This is added to in-state stipend)
- Stipends (5 disbursements each semester) equivalent to New York in-state upper/lower division depending upon the status of the individual.
- Residential Life apparel such as t-shirts, hats, hoodies, etc.
- Movie tickets and meal vouchers during Move-In.
Please refer any questions about RA Selection to:
Resident Counselor Jocelin Engel, firstname.lastname@example.org, 212 217.3910