Diversity Grants Awarded
The President created an annual fund of $15,000 to encourage the development of educational projects, scholarly research, creative endeavors and professional activities that promote the Diversity Council’s goals of diversity, tolerance and inclusion. Below is a list of recent grant winners from 2008-2014.
- Miss Communication—Submitted by Pansum Cheng, student, Fine Arts/Sculpture Technologist
- International Student Speech Contest: Lessons learned / Advice Offered —Submitted by Asli Gokhan-Kucuk (PhD, English and Speech Department); Patricia Iacobazzo, Charlotte Brown, Lee Whiting, Matthew Petrunia (all faculty from the English and Speech
- A Queer History of Fashion Symposium—Submitted by Tanya Melendez, the Museum at FIT (with collaborators Melissa Marra, associate curator of education; Tamsen Schwartzman, museum media manager; and Dr. Valerie Steele, director and chief curator)
- Diversity and Globalization: Achieving more diverse teams, consumer communication, and leadership culture in global corporations – Stephen Kanlian, Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing and Management, Graduate Studies
- Poetry and Film – Madeline Millán and Pilar Blanco Ruiz, Foreign Languages
- Language and Learning at FIT: Celebrating the Stories of English Language Learners – Patrick Jackson and Sasha Graybosh, Writing Studio
- LGBTQ and Ally Training –Vivian Chen and Cody Kirkpatrick, Department of Residential Life
- Women in Design-related Technology: Learning from Real-life Stories - Professors Elaine Maldonado, Director of the CET, and Karen Pearson, of Science and Mathematics
- Marriage Equality New York - Professor Ron Amato, Chairperson of the Photography department; Kevin Campo, Kendra Heisler, Beth Zink, Steven Walsh, Livia Glosikova and Loreal Prystaj, Photography major students.
- A New DAWN: Disability Awareness Week Network - Office of Disability Services: FIT-ABLE – Elizabeth Mortensen and Joseph Plutz
- ARTSpeak - Fine Arts – Professors John Allen and Jean Feinberg
2009 – 2010:
- Foreign Born Faculty Panel - Professor Asli Gokhan, Chairperson of English and Speech
- FIT Diversity Oral Histories - Library - Professors Greta Earnest and Karen Cannell; Foreign Languages – Professors Isabella Bertoletti and James Cascaito; American History - Professor Daniel Levinson Wilk; Fashion Design – Professor Karen Scheetz
- FIT’s Heirloom Recipes: A Cross-Cultural Exchange - English and Speech – Professors Jean Amato, Amy Lemmon, Michael Hyde and Melissa Tombro; Educational Skills – Professor Charlotte Brown
- Covering/Discovering - Alex Joseph, Communications and External Relations
- Photo Talks - Professor Jessica Wynne, Photography
- Dynamic Diversity - Professor Charlotte Brown, Chairperson of Educational Skills; Professor Brian Fallon, Director of the Writing Studio; and Madeline Meyerson, Counselor of the Academic Advisement Center.