Faculty of the Future Mini-Retreat: An Open Conversation on MOOCs and Technology
Friday, November 15, 2013
9:00 am - 12:30 pm
John E. Reeves Great Hall
Continental breakfast to be served at 8:30 am
Please RSVP by Monday, November 4 at http://tinyurl.com/np2kqbd.
For additional reading on MOOCs, please see the following articles:
- The Chronicle Wired blog on MOOCS and community colleges.
- A Sloan Consortium blog on “MOOC Fatigue”.
- The Wall Street Journal: An Early Report Card on MOOCs.
- Future Trends and Technology in Education (FTTE) October 2013: monthly futures report in higher education (.pdf).
- The New Republic April 2013: MOOCS of Hazard (.pdf).
Welcome to the FIT of the Future: 2020. On this site, you will be able to participate in our college-wide journey to 2020---and in particular, to continue our strengthening of the academic core. It is here that we will explore new academic challenges that have evolved out of our original strategic plan which we launched just five years ago. At that time, did we blog? Did we twitter…or friend? Of course not. Nor can we guess what technological wonders will be available in 2020. So it is clear that now--- in 2010---we will have to make possible for the students of 2020 what can only be imagined today.
Focus on Faculty
We know we will need a curriculum as future-focused and technologically sophisticated as possible. But to have that, we must first determine what the faculty of the future must look like---what criteria its members must satisfy---to lead us there. That is what we hope to accomplish with the goals of this new initiative. I welcome your participation.