How It Works
Students may add funds to their online accounts using their FIT ID at anytime and this money will be carried over each semester. This can be done at the PHiL station (Payment Headquarters in Location) locations which are conveniently located in the Library (5th floor) and Open Lab CC15. This can also be done through Campus Card eAccounts accessed via MyFIT. Printing is free during classes held in computer classrooms.
In the public computer labs, the Library and the self-service area of PrintFX, there is a per-page charge for printing. Print release stations set up in these areas deduct payment from your online account. Black and white laser printing is $.10 per page and color printing is $.90 per page.
Checking Your Account
Each time you swipe your ID card in the print release station you will see your balance in the lower left hand corner of the screen.
How to Add Money to Your Printing Account
There are 2 methods of adding money to your account for printing.
You can use the PHiL stations or you can add money to your account online via the Campus Card eAccounts portal.
Students, staff, and faculty may add funds directly to their school issued ID cards. Visitors may add funds to their visitor ID cards issued by the Library service desks.
The eAccounts portal services students,staff, faculty, and visitors. Students, staff, faculty, and visitors may access the eAccounts portal by following this link: eAccounts. Alternatively students, staff and faculty may access the Campus Card eAccounts portal by logging onto “MyFIT” and clicking on the “FIT Campus Card” link. Step by step instructions can be found here.
-Students, staff, and faculty must fill in all the required fields when prompted in order to add money to their cards.
-Visitors must click on the "Make a guest deposit" at the bottom of the page. When entering information they should enter "Library" for the first name and "Card" for the last name, then enter the number corresponding to your issued visitor card in the student ID number field.
There are also 2 locations that have PHiL stations (Payment Headquarters in Location) for students, staff, faculty, and visitors to add funds to their online printing accounts.:
- Library – Goodman Center, 5th floor
- CC15 – College-wide open lab
There is no money on your actual ID card, only in your online printing account, so if your card should be lost or stolen, you will not lose any funds. That means that unless someone has your ID card, username and password, they will be unable to charge printing to your account.
Prepare carefully before printing because you will be charged for all print jobs. A few simple resource-saving techniques:
- Save your work to your desktop — DO NOT print from your N: drive.
- Don't print out e-mail unless absolutely necessary.
- If you must print e-mail, copy-and-paste several messages into a Word file to reduce the number of pages you need to print. You should do this for working with Web-based information, too.
- Use printer-friendly options available on some websites to eliminate unnecessary parts of the page (ex. ads, frames).
- Familiarize yourself with the print-preview feature options, this will allow you to adjust margins, print more than one page on a sheet (Note: they will come out much smaller), select only the pages you wish to print, etc.
- Proofread and spell-check before printing.
- Use the print preview feature before printing.
- If you need to reprint a document, only print those pages that have been changed, instead of the entire document.
- If your print job does not print immediately, do not send it to the printer again without checking the print release station because it may still be waiting in the print queue.
- Remember to log out of your account before you leave the lab.
Canceling Print Jobs
A print job cannot be cancelled. Print jobs are not released until after you have entered your network password at the print release station and selected which jobs you wish to release. Jobs that have not been released within 10 hours of being sent to the printer queue will be deleted from the printer queue.
We make every effort to keep the printers in good working order; however, you may receive pages that are of poor quality due to low toner or other printer malfunctions. Please inform the technician/lab monitor on duty, who will submit a refund for you which in turn will be credited to your account.
These printers are set-up for business quality printing and should be used for draft quality color printing. Any special printing and portfolio-quality printing should be done in PrintFX located in D529.
Under NO circumstances will we insert different paper or other materials into the printers NOR will we allow you to. These objects may jam and damage the printer's inner components.
It is your responsibility to guard your user ID and password. We will not reimburse you for any charges made to your account by another student. If you think another student is using your user ID and password, please contact the IT for FIT Help Desk.
Guest Printing Instructions
In order to print in the Library, you must setup a guest account and pay to print at $.10 a page for Black & White and $.90 a page for Color. To set-up a guest account, please visit the Library Reference Desk to obtain a Library guest card.
When you send a job to be printed, you must go to the print release station, swipe your card and enter your password to release the job. This must be done within 10 hours of sending the print job to the queue or it will be deleted. Your account is charged once you release the job at the print station.
For more information, call 212.217.3520.