Disability Support Services
Summer TutoringTutoring for the Summer 1 session begins on Wednesday, May 27. To sign up for an individual appointment, please read the instructions below under "To register/make an appointment with a tutor."
During Summer Session, students may schedule 1 hour of tutoring per week and may attend our walk-in sessions as well.
Summer Walk-In Schedule
June 1 - 29
12:30 - 2:30pm: Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays
Math, Economics, Science, MS Office
May 27 - June 29
Noon - 2pm
Mondays: Math (most), Economics (SS141, 242, 443) Tuesdays: Math (most), Economics (SS141, 242, 243, 343, 443, 445), Science (SC111, 121, 122, 253), MG153, MG306
Wednesdays: Math (most), Economics (SS141, 242, 443), Science (SC111, 121, 122, 253)
Thursdays: Math (most), Economics (SS141, 242, 243, 343, 443, 445), Science (SC111, 121, 122, 253), MG153, MG306
|Tutoring for fall 2015 begins on Wednesday, September 16. The registration/appointment system for tutoring will be available as of Saturday, September 12. Tutoring services are free to all students currently enrolled in credit-bearing and remedial courses at FIT.|
Beginning in fall 2015, you must make an appointment with a tutor at least 48 hours in advance. Cancellations must be made at least 24 hours in advance by calling 212 217.4080 or sending an email to www.AcademicSkillsCenter@fitnyc.edu. If you do not cancel, if it considered an absence. You are only allowed one absence per semester.
Students who are currently registered in credit-bearing or remedial courses at FIT may receive up to seven (7) hours of individual tutoring each fall and spring semester. You may also attend walk-in tutoring sessions as often as you like. In order to receive tutoring for a particular class, you must be currently taking that class. You may schedule an appointment for up to two weeks in a row at one time.
During fall and spring semesters, you may use the seven hours in the following ways:
a. seven one-hour sessions, once per week, or
b. 14 30-minute sessions (maximum of two per week), or
c. a combination of one-hour and 30-minute sessions throughout the semester
Register and Make an Appointment
1. Please read the following "Tutoring Contract" to understand the purpose and rules of the tutoring center.
- I understand that I am only allowed one absence per semester.
- I understand that I must cancel my appointment 24 hours in advance. If not, it will be considered an absence.
- I understand that I should contact the tutoring center if I am going to be late or absent at 212 217.4080.
- I will supply my tutor with information about my course and bring the necessary notes, books, and equipment.
- I understand that the purpose of tutoring is to help with the clarification of material that the instructor has presented in class or to get a better understanding of required reading and homework.
- I understand that I cannot expect the tutor to have the same expertise as my instructor.
- I understand that under no circumstances will a tutor do my work for me and cannot help with take home exams.
- I understand that a tutor's job is to help me to become a more self-sufficient, independent learner by providing access to the skills necessary to eventually succeed on my own.
2. To register and schedule an appointment, go to: https://fit.mywconline.com/ (use Chrome or Firefox)
3. If you want to sign up for a writing tutor, choose "Writing Studio" from the dropdown menu.
4. For all other classes, choose the option "Academic Skills Tutoring Center."
During the fall and spring semesters, we offer walk-in tutoring in the following subject areas: draping, sewing, patternmaking, math, economics, science, accounting, computer software (Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, Soft Image, and others), and some Fashion Business Management courses. Walk-in sessions offered may vary from semester to semester.
The walk-in schedule will be posted on this site the fourth week of the fall and spring semesters and the first week of the summer sessions. For more information on tutoring or walk-ins, please call 212 217.4080.
There are no workshops at this time.
If a student requires special services for tutoring due to a disability, Academic Skills will work with the FIT-ABLE office, the college's disability support services office, to make the necessary accommodations. Students should first contact FIT-ABLE, Room A570, 212 217.4090 or go to www.fitnyc.edu/fitable.