- general images of the campus
- faculty teaching in classrooms
- students in academic settings
- student life activities
- classrooms, labs, studios, and campus facilities
- student artwork
- special events
If you are interested in viewing the photo archives or are looking for a specific image, contact us.
Communications and External Relations photographs most major college events. If your department is scheduling an activity that you want photographed, you can contact the office to determine if we plan to photograph the event; if not, the office can provide a referral to a photographer, who will be paid by your department. We maintain a list of freelancers and can provide you with a referral.
It is recommended that you contact the photographer at least one week prior to the event and that you receive approval from your departmental supervisor when appropriate. When hiring a photographer use the following checklist to ensure that the assignment is clear.
Photograph Request Checklist
- Provide the photographer with the complete name, date, time, and location of event in writing.
- Discuss the logistics of the shoot prior to the event, such as details about special lighting needs.
- Provide name and phone number of a contact at the event that the photographer can meet.
- Assign someone to work with the photographer at the event to identify specific photos you need.
- Make sure you collect names of key individuals you photograph when the picture is taken.
- Photographer Rates
Most FIT freelance photographers are currently paid at the rate of $150 per hour. An additional $100-$150 production fee is charged for the photographer to edit the images, put them on a CD and print color contact sheets for you. Fees may differ based on your needs and the scope of the assignment. You should provide the photographer with details of the event prior to the assignment and confirm the fees you will be charged.
Contact Sheets, CDs, and Prints
Confirm with the photographer that approximately one week following your event, you will receive a color contact sheet of your photos, along with a CD of the digital photographs. The CD is yours to print larger images or email them as needed.
FIT has contracted with our freelance photographers to have unlimited rights to use their photographs in any college publication, FIT website, or in email communication. Fees for use in college advertising must be negotiated separately through the office of College Relations. These photographs may not be redistributed or resold in any manner. Please credit the photographer whenever using the photograph in a publication or website: Photograph by NAME for FIT.