The FIT Care Team is an advisory group to the Vice President for Enrollment Management & Student Success. The Care Team provides timely proactive intervention resources for students, faculty, and staff in order to address student issues and promote student academic success and safety using the three-step model of:
1 - IDENTIFY
2 - ASSESS
3 - MANAGE
The Care Team is dedicated to assisting students in distress, while considering the needs of the FIT community. The purpose of the Care Team is:
- To provide a proactive structure in the assessment of certain student behaviors;
- To determine an appropriate, individualized intervention plan for each student;
- To recommend an intervention plan to the Vice President;
- To initiate the intervention plan;
- To provide follow-up and monitoring of the student's status;
- To eliminate "fragmented care"
Examples of such instances include; but are not limited to: behavior which appears to be dangerous or threatening to oneself or others; troubling behavior; angry, hostile, or abusive behavior; or other behavior that is inappropriate or disruptive. In some cases there may be no violation of the FIT Student Code of Conduct, but the behavior may evoke alarm or concern among involved persons.
The Care Team will meet once every three weeks, or as needed. The Care Team’s responsibilities include the following:
- Receive and gather information about behavior which appears to be dangerous or threatening to oneself or others; troubling behavior; angry, hostile, or abusive behavior; or other behavior that is inappropriate or disruptive involving students.
- Develop specific strategies to manage potentially harmful or disruptive behavior with regard to safety and rights of others in order to minimize the disruption to the college community.
- Make recommendations to the Vice President on appropriate action(s) consistent with college policies and procedures.
- Assist in advising the college in its response to potentially harmful/disruptive situations.
- Develop and disseminate informational materials to the college community, focused on identification and prevention of disruptive behavior.
- Provide education to the FIT community on issues surrounding behavioral Behavioral Teams, students in crisis, and local, state and federal policies.
|The CARE TEAM is not a crisis response team, but acts in a proactive manner to assist students once identified as needing assistance.|
FIT recognizes the importance of maintaining certain records for each student which contributes to and confirms the student’s educational progress. To protect the rights of students regarding these records, the College has established policies and guidelines which describe the records maintained and provisions for releasing information. These rules conform to State and Federal laws (the U.S. Department of Education guidelines for the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended, known as the Buckley Amendment or FERPA.)
Care Team Process
Members of the FIT community may refer students of concern through numerous channels. The Care Team Form is accessible online and is fully confidential. The chair of the Care Team can also be called or mailed directly. All Care Team referrals are kept separate from judicial files and are confidential.
If you believe the student or community is in immediate danger, please call 911 or contact FIT Security at 212-217-7777.
- Suzanne McGillicuddy – Assistant Dean of Students (Chair), email@example.com, 212-217-3800
- Mario Cabrera – Director of Campus Security
- Rebecca Fraley-Corrado – Assistant Vice President for Administration
- Terry Ginder – Director of the Counseling Center
- Ann Marie Grappo – Director of Residential Life
- Anne Miller – Director of Health Services
- Joseph Plutz – Coordinator of FIT-ABLE (Disability Services)
- Melanie Reim – Faculty Representative
- Erika Rohrbach – Director of International Student Services
Other college officials may be asked to serve on the Care Team in specific situations as needed.
- Vice President for Enrollment Management & Student Success
- Vice President for Finance & Administration
- Vice President for Academic Affairs
- FIT General Counsel
- Information Technology